Thursday, September 29, 2011

5 reasons I run.


1. Becoming a runner is unlike anything else.
Now, take it from me... I've never in my life been a runner. I didn't like hated running before I started training for my first 5k. But as soon as I experienced my first runner's high, running has always held a special place in my heart. For me, I was only a week or 2 into the couch to 5k program and I was doing more walking than running at that time. It has taken my body to a whole different level - a level that I question how I ever lived without.

2. The results show.
Before I lost a pound of weight, according to the scale, I was dropping inches after what seemed like 30 seconds on the treadmill. I read somewhere that for women, running is the best exercise for weight loss. For me, this is true. While it may not be true for everyone - I've found that if I'm consistent, everything starts fitting looser than it did the week before.

3. Best sleep ever.
The night of my 5k, I literally slept like a baby. For several years, I've had a hard time sleeping completely through the night. I usually wake up 2-3 times a night, but nights after I run - I get better sleep than could ever be offered from a pill, a drink or anything else.

4. Self-confidence is on the up.
I feel better about myself with every mile I run. There's something about being able to call myself a runner that gives me more self-worth. Not that I didn't feel like I had a purpose before I started running, but running has made my life so much better. Along with that, running has given me more confidence to try new things at the gym. Today, I tried the stair master for the first time. Who am I?

5. The ultimate stress reliever.
After a good run, my head is clearer and my problems don't seem so big anymore. I've always been big on stressing, but running takes the load off. When I run outside, I feel closer to nature. When I run anywhere, I always feel closer to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment