Sunday, June 5, 2011

Transition.

It set in today that this is my last "free" summer. Next summer along with the wedding, I'll hopefully have a big girl job and be living on my own for the first time without my mom supporting me and also living with a boy, ew! :) From high school, to college, to adulthood the only thing that will always be constant is change. That's an overused quote, but true. I think back to a few years ago, the goals I had, the decisions I made and the people I surrounded myself with. Several of these individuals are nothing but memories of my past and that's where they will stay. Even if friendships drifted because of time or other various reasons, I think growing up and your inner circle getting smaller can be as refreshing as it is disappointing. It's easy at 15 to say you'll be best friends forever. At that age, there are essentially no worries and nothing that could get in the way. As we grow, more things happen, more opportunities arise, time passes and as much as we would love to save our friendships - not everyone matures at the same speed. I don't keep in much contact with people that I went to high school with because I'm just at a different point in my life. I'm getting married at a relatively young age and I'm aware of that. As happy as I am with my current state, it's really easy to think "what if..". Do I miss the time where I talked to 30 people a day and texted so much I thought my fingers were going to fall off? At times. Would I trade that for what I have now? Absolutely not. The worst thing I could do is fall into the void of wanting things to go back to the way they were. I'm learning to cherish those times rather than try to recreate them. I think the smartest thing someone can do during this age is be intentional about who they surround themselves with. I'm 21 today, but I know that in 5 years my inner circle will only be smaller, but with stronger relationships. I don't want to force friendships or try to reconnect with the wrong people to salvage something that worked 5 years ago. I'll just continue to move forward and trust that God has more in store for me than this time of transition.

No comments:

Post a Comment