Monday, December 12, 2011

Switch of focus.

In a little over a week, I will be 1 semester away from finishing my Bachelor's Degree. This is exciting and terrifying at the same time. My college experience wasn't very ordinary. It was during my time in college that 2 people I went to highschool with and a close family friend passed away. This was my first real experience with death (aside from my aunt passing away in 2008). It's a lot different when someone you're close in age with passes away vs. a family member, even though she passed away before her 50th birthday. I've learned a lot from these deaths and faster than I expected to. While I want to remember college as being the greatest years of my life, the memories of these deaths will always be attached. Today, I was told that a friend of mine recently found out her mom has breast cancer. This was a hard pill to swallow. Since we grew up together, I feel it's something that could have easily happened to me. It's a difficult situation because this isn't just someone I went to school with or passed by in the hallways, she has always been a close friend to me and always will be. When I found this out, I was in the middle of one of my own personal fits, angry about something small and in an instant it was as if God personally delivered me a reality check. He's good at this. The minute I think I have problems I am immediately reminded that it could.always.be.worse. The truth of the matter is, for every time I've started a sentence with I'm thankful for this, but __________  - I need to retract my sentence with I am thankful regardless of this. The fact of the matter is God has taught me that life will always be more about who I spend my precious time with rather than who I choose to use my time complaining about. I am here to say, the lesson has come through loud and clear. I'm guilty of this every single day. Instead of saying that my new's year resolution will be to fix this - it will start today. I need to put greater focus on the people that mean something to me and less focus on things that I will never have the power to change. It's all about perspective and mine changes.. now.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you have had to experience so much death in recent years. I know that is very difficult to go through. Stay strong! I am happy you have a new perspective on life... Yours will chance because of it. Good for you. Be thankful every day for what you have.

    ReplyDelete