Monday, August 15, 2011

Run, run, run.

This summer, along with working and wedding planning I've been participating in a Couch to 5k program. Technically, I should be in week 6 or 7 right now, but I'm just starting week 4. I started in the beginning of the summer then found out I had to have a second surgery on my ankle and it back tracked me a bit. At this point, I'll just be finishing the 9 week program by the time I run my first 5k on September 21st.

I've never been a runner, ever. Even back when I played basketball from grade school until the beginning of high school I was always the slowest person on the team long before I was ever dealing with being as heavy as I am now. Looking back on it now, I don't think I ever tried as hard as I could have. They always say hindsight is 20/20, but really if 5 years ago I had taken exercising and eating healthy more serious I could be a full blown runner.

So what's the plan?
Well, as you know Cameron and I are both on a mission to be as fit and healthy as we can be on the day of our wedding. We don't want to look back with regret saying things like "If only I had.." or "I wish.." No I want to be able to pick whatever dress I want to and be happy with the way I look. With 11 months on the clock, it's obviously now or never. So here are some of my goals..


  • Run at least one mile everyday leading up to September 21st
  • Complete my first 5k in 45 minutes or less
  • Run my second 5k on October 16th the entire time
  • Do the Turkey Day Run, 2 miles
  • Train through the winter months, 10 miles a week
  • Run my first 10k in February


Along with all of this, my ultimate goal is run a half marathon. There is one in Kenosha in May 2012, but I don't know if I will be ready for this by then, but it's more of a long term goal for now. I'm confident if I'm consistent with training and working at it everyday, I can accomplish these goals. I'm trying to be as public as I can be about this because I know accountability is key.

Please be praying for me throughout these next few months that I stick to these goals and don't give up like times in the past.

To end in one of my favorite quotes:
"If you want to do it all you have to do is do it" -Ben Davis

1 comment:

  1. I know you're going to meet your goals together! Good luck and congrats on all you've done so far and on the wedding!

    ReplyDelete